Monday 27 June 2016

Down the lane to Septankulam.

The last time I set foot on the soil of Septankulam was 5 years ago. As far as i know,this place has to be the most remotely located place I have ever visited until today. Located deep inside Thiruvanmalai district,the village boasts of one thing, Culture. Unlike chennai, Septankulam has only 8 streets which makes it more of a place to shed your thoughts and introspection with less human interactions. In this blog post I will write some exciting experiences in about the place where most of my summer where spent. Let me start with one thing which most of us have dreamt of doing in city.


Counting Stars...

I would sit on folding chairs laid on mud floor with my two brothers and chat uselessly . The talks where not about some fictitious characters from GoT or some random English series. It was always about real characters who were peculiar like the "Yellow helmet headed PK". Every topic takes diversions and ends with one thing. STARS. We,at that age knew two things about space, one Stars and the other one is satellite. It makes me feel dumb when I think about an act which i would do everytime I see a blinking star.. I shout "I spotted a Satellite!!" jumping off from my chair. Spotting stars has become a very rare occasion in cities because of the pollution and the fast paced lives of people. And when I took a glance at the sky lying on "Motta Maadi", I realized how much I missed nature and its spontaneity in capturing minds. 

Ramayana and Mahabharata

As a child,I dwelled in my own dream town. I had always liked stories not because of its entertaining factor but because of the way it was told to me. My grandpa is a grandiloquent ( remove the pompous factor). I can still hear his chuckle when he says those Tenali Raman stories and also his work experience. He was a Commercial Tax Officer during his days and he used to tell me the stories of his working days. He has travelled all over TN and he used to tell me the about the people over there. These were my stories until I was 6th.

Then one fine day,he asked me" do you know Ramayana?".. I was like "What is it :P". From then on, it took him 12 days to tell Ramayana from Head to Toe. Daily 6 pm-7 pm,Ramayana was my schedule. With my grandpa ,I would sit on a folding chair outside our house,enjoying the breeze,letting my mind grasp the ethos that were told in Ramayana. He also told me Mahabharata which took him 25 days. Inspired by the plot which was more complex than GoT, I took a Mahabharata book from him and finished it in 3 days. 

There are more stories and fun-filled experiences in Septankulam. I will write about those experiences in future posts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment